Welcome to 's documentation!
Better than a long speech, here is a list of common questions you might have about Fink!
- What is Fink?
- Fink is a broker infrastructure enabling a wide range of applications and services to connect to and scientifically enrich large streams of alerts issued from telescopes all over the world.
- What are Fink goals?
- Fink's main scientific objective is to optimize the scientific impact of Rubin alerts for a set of science cases: supernovae, microlensing, multi-messenger astronomy and anomaly detection. On the technological side, Fink aims at providing a robust infrastructure and state-of-the-art streaming services to Rubin scientists, to seamlessly enable user-defined science cases in a big data context.
- What is the technology behind Fink?
- How Fink is different from other brokers?
- Although Fink has many common features with other brokers, it is community-driven, fully open-source and includes latest big data and machine learning developments.
- How to join Fink?
- The collaboration is currently under a more formal construction, and there are rooms for everybody! Contact us at contact(at)fink-broker.org, and we will get in touch with you.
- Where is the official Fink website?
- How to access the Science Portal and browse Fink processed data?
- The Science Portal is accessible at https://fink-portal.org
- How to receive Fink alerts live?
- How to contribute to Fink?
- We welcome scientific and technological contributions as we want Fink to be community-driven. Let's mention also Fink is completely open-source, and we welcome contributors! Make sure you read the guidelines first.
Learning Fink is easy whether you are a developer or a scientist:
- Learn about the broker technology, the science we do, and how to receive alerts.
- Learn how to use the broker or how to contribute following the different tutorials.
- Explore the different components:
- fink-alert-simulator: Simulate alert streams for the Fink broker.
- fink-broker: Astronomy Broker based on Apache Spark.
- fink-science: Define your science modules to add values to Fink alerts.
- fink-filters: Define your filters to create your alert stream in Fink.
- fink-client: Light-weight client to manipulate alerts from Fink.